Friday, August 1, 2008

Throw in the Towel

Yes, I have done it. I am throwing in the towel. I need sleep. I have tried this, this, and this. Nothing. I have taken high doses of this (at the suggestion of a professional). Nope.

I have tried this to relieve the pain in my joints (generally speaking, it usually works wonders when I'm not pregnant for any kind of bruise/soreness/muscle/joint pain). I even took some of this - you'll remember me saying that in a previous post - and got no relief. I've taken some of this also with no help. Wait, I can't find a link for that. It's a joint relief complex by Shaklee. I have seen a chiropractor everyday for a week and visited my mysofacial therapy massage therapist twice - twice, for Pete's sake.

So, after wanting to go to sleep last night around 12 or 1 am, getting back up out of bed at 2 b/c sleep had not occurred, trying again at 3 and promptly rising due to the insane amount of pain in my hands, and finally getting some rest at 4. AM. 4 AM - I called my midwife (this afternoon. Couldn't bring myself to wake her in the middle of the night).

I am purchasing, at a regular pharmacy, this to try and get some sleep. Why, you ask, would I suddenly succumb to an over-the-counter remedy when I have diligently stayed as far away as possible from "drugs". 'Cause the jig is up. I am cranky. I am tired. I am sick, and tired, of being tired. I need sleep. Not to mention the huge exam I have tomorrow morning on prenatals (for my midwifery class). I gotta sleep. I'll try anything.

I also have an appointment with a Physical Therapist. Yep, a real Physical Therapist. Who consults with - hold your breath - a real Medical Doctor. She may even be a real MD for all I know.

There was a little delay in getting an appointment because I was told, "Um, there's a problem. You don't have a physician on file with us. We're not sure we can see you and/or if your insurance will cover it. Have you seen a doctor in the past 12 months at all?"

To which I replied, "If you look closely you will see that I have a care provider listed - a CNM - her name is A.K. She is in your system, otherwise she wouldn't be listed now would she."

"Oh, you have a midwife. I'll have to check with my supervisor to see if that counts. We want to make sure we are giving you the right care. Once I talk to him, I'll call you back if we can see you."

Wasn't that nice of that lady to add "we want to make sure we're giving you the right care"? Sounds like she really cares, huh? Well, it all turned out all right. See, my midwife, who obviously doesn't count as a real medical professional, had already sent a referral to the P.T.'s office before I called for an appt. So, they already had all the information they needed. Of course my insurance will cover it. They're not upset that I haven't wasted their money by going to the doctor every time I had a sniffle in the last year. I told the lady pretty simply that I am not a sick person most of the time and therefore don't visit an MD very often. My appointment is set for next week.

So, the towel is in. I have surrendered to medical intervention. I need my hands to work. I need rest. My family needs a CEO who is not cranky, pissy, and yelling all the time. Let's face it, anyone in lots of pain with no sleep would be that way.

I'll let you know what I think of the Unisom tomorrow.

~H

No comments: