Monday, November 24, 2008

Quick Takes (Vol. 4)

--1--

My friend with the new baby here is very upset about my other friend (who is a closer friend to her than me) here who just lost her baby.

I feel utterly helpless as well. My friend with the new(er) baby is having such a hard time delighting in the joy of her wee one as it has been overcast with the shadow of the death of another baby.

This too will come to pass. And God's love will get us through.

--2--

The assortment of "Sympathy" cards at the store(s) is pathetic. They suck. They're all "so sorry for your loss", blah, blah, blah, "God loves you", blah, blah, blah. Not that God loving anyone is bad or something to make fun of. It's just the cards sound so damn fake.

Of course God loves us. I think that a mourning mother and family need to hear something more real. Like, "I bet you are really pissed at God right now. I would be too. Don't worry, He doesn't mind and He understands."

I really wish there was a card that said this: "I know we aren't really close friends. But as a mother I feel a connection to you and I want you to know that I understand that your pain is unbearable and that no one truly knows how bad you must feel right now. If it were appropriate and if I could, I would pick you up in my arms and hold you until it all went away. I don't know how bad it is. I feel guilty that my baby is OK, and I feel guilty for being so happy that my baby is OK. Please don't hate me for that. Please know and believe that my heart is with you."

Where's the Hallmark for that?

--3--

As a recent convert to Catholicism, I have never attended a Catholic funeral. I am kind of nervous about what to expect. I have also never been to a funeral for an infant, so I am twice nervous.

--4--

Hey God,

Why did you need that baby back so soon?

Sincerely,

H

--5--

I still need to set up my baby's baptism. I feel like it should be done TOMORROW, just in case. But I know it's best to allow for the funeral before I start calling the parish secretary to set up the baptism. Not to mention, I haven't checked with the God-parents for dates yet.

--6--

Hey God,

Is this thing on? Sorry. Just kidding.

Me again. I know that babies die everyday. This was a humble reminder very close to home about how precious these children are. Thanks for letting me have Yours just a little bit longer. I promise to try to not take them for granted.

H

--7--

His timing is perfect.

~H

No comments: