Sunday, June 6, 2010

Critters Come to Us (In which my readers may immediately close their browser window)

My son, while taking his dog outside for his morning "empty", came inside with this:


A hognose snake. How much excitement this little creature caused my boy!! He thought it was the coolest thing that ever happened. Of course he tried to convince me we should keep it. Ha! Not in this life buddy. We took pictures and released it back into the wild as we had a very busy morning (I believe it was Sunday That Dad Works, so I was trying to get everyone to Mass alone. Fun.)

Later, we looked at the pictures and then looked him up online to see what kind of snake he was. We thought he was 2 other species before we decided on the hognose variety. Wobbers was retelling how the snake kept "playing dead" and we found that amongst the description of this snake, so there it is.

Of course I, being the wonderous homeschooling mom I am, immediately assigned him a report on said hognose snake. Ain't that great?


And a day or two before that.....one of these was "taking a nap" in our gazebo.

I have no idea what kind or type of bat it was/is, but I was pretty darn happy to see it there. Bats eat bugs. And we have a lot of those out here in the boonies.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

The bat looks like a "Big Brown Bat" (Eptesicus fuscus)

The 4 year old and I just went down a bat rabbit trail a few days ago. :) Isn't homeschooling fun?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE when homeschool moments happen like that! We recently did that exact same thing with a ribbon snake. So fun.