I have no intention of getting rid of my microwave *any* time soon. It is a necessity item in our house with a new baby.
I do wonder about said "appliance". Obviously, food can be heated up on the stove, in the oven, or even in a crockpot.
Let's say I were to heat up something in the oven. I take it out. I turn the oven off. If I put my hand in the oven right away I would feel heat, possibly burn myself if I touched any part of it.
If I heat something up in the microwave, the food comes out hot but the space in the microwave is cold.
That makes me wonder exactly what the heck is going on in there???!
I know, I know....it has to do with some kind of waves-type-thing radiating or causing molecules to move around and heat up or whatever (I know it has to be a fat, water, or protien molecule to react, that's why paper doesn't "burn" or anything in there).
But when you think too hard about it - it's really, really weird. W-E-I-R-D.