Sunday, May 9, 2010

"Ribbit, Ribbit"

It took me a while in the knitting community to understand why tearing a project apart is called "frogging". Apparently, it has to do with the "rip-it, rip-it" you do when you rip or pull the stitches out. From that sound, which does sound like you are ripping fabric ('cause lets face it, you are) was born the term "frogging".

Today, I frogged. I went from this:

to this:

and this:

Now, instead of a completed sweater, I have three sweater parts and a pile of wound skeins. The second picture shows the body and two sleeves living there lives completely independent of each other.
It is amazing to me how little time goes into destroying months worth of work. All in all, it took me about 2 hours to rip the sweater back - and this was mostly because I had a lot of ends to unweave.
Now begins the process of re-knitting and re-designing this sweater. Obviously, if I was to make the "Seamless Hybrid" EZ sweater, I should have followed all of the percentage instructions given in the directions. But I didn't. Thus, ripping. Not fitting properly. All a learning process.
I have new skills to learn now. I am going to make a sweater with set in sleeves. What this means is that I will knit the body to shoulder depth and then *gulp* cut the fabric where I want the sleeves to go and sew them in where they belong. This, I am hoping, will prevent me from having to reknit the sleeves entirely. If that doesn't work.....well, we'll cross that path when we get there. Steeking. My new skill.

No comments: