Monday, January 19, 2009

Same Knit, Different Stitch

What I've been up to - knitting. I taught myself to crochet long ago. Crocheting is easy. One needle (hook), one strand of yarn. Knitting? Ha! That two needled shananigan has been laughing at me for many years, far from my reach. Trying to understand how you can make something with that same one strand of yarn with two needles jabbing at each other, weaving the yarn in & out.....oh, way too confusing.

But, BUT, I mentioned to a friend of mine that I would like to learn how to knit. Not only did she teach me, but she brought me some of her "scrap" wool yarn (and by scrap, I mean stuff she had left over, but certainly more than just scraps, they're wonderful), a bunch of knitting needles (including double pointed ones for knitting in the round), and a lot of knitting magazines and patterns. She rocks!

So, I have started to make, or at least try to fashion, some of the wool pants I covet so much lately. I am excited.....and a little obsessed. But better obsessed with something I can do than something I must have. :)

I also broke out my crochet hook and am taking a shot at crocheting some wool diaper covers/pants. I'm a little more gutsy with my crocheting abilities and am making one without a pattern. I think I can figure it out.

When I have something to show.....well.....I will.

Oh, while searching for some links to give examples of knitting and crocheting to you, my dear readers, I tumbled upon this blog, entitled "What Not to Crochet." Hil-ar-i-ous. Go see.

~H

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent my A&P teacher the picture of the crocheted dissected rat.... tooo funny

~C

regan said...

hence my hesitation in learning to knit. i just don't know if my brain can handle it! but good luck to YOU!=) glad you're enjoying "me space"