Friday, July 11, 2008

Can you say "Nesting"?

I had a very productive day yesterday. It started late, around noon, as all my days have been lately due to the still unseen creature we'll refer to as sleep. But even with the late start, much was accomplished without my really planning ahead for it.

The "plan" was to go grocery shopping. This is quite a bit of work for me, as it entails 2 grocery stores, both in the "big city" about 1/2 away. With the summer heat it also requires *gasp* leaving my car running while at the second store so as to not have any of my food spoil. All of you environmentally conscientious people out there - please pretend you didn't read that last sentence. Yes, I really do let me car run even with the gas prices so high and the ozone layer falling apart. It's either that or curdled milk and squishy fruit.

Well, that didn't actually happen. Out of no where, I cleaned my kitchen in the morning (ok, I know 12pm is not morning, but it is to me). I know, I know, some of you really do this on an everyday basis - but in my current enlarged state, I haven't been doing much of anything. After that, I woke up my husband and other kid (2 year old was already up with me at 12), thinking, "Grocery store here we come!"

Maybe later. Somehow I started in on organizing and cleaning out my 2 year old's room. Due to her not using it for anything in particular, it has become a place of sky high storage - to the point where the stuff piled on top of the changing table is at eye level. My eye - 5'4'' above the ground. Yikes. My argument with myself for doing this before shopping (other than the fact that I have been meaning to go in there and clean for about 6 months) was that the St. Vincent de Paul store was only a block away from the 1st grocery store and we could drop off anything that needed to go before we shopped. Because, if you've ever been to my house, after you clean out things and decide to get rid of stuff (yes, stuff, and get rid of it - in the same sentence) it generally sits around collecting dust by the front door for a month before sitting in the back of the van for another month and then getting dropped off at said goodwill type place.

We were in there for about 2 hours. A record actually, and I really got rid of stuff. Yep. Let it go. I am so proud of myself. However, it was approaching 5 or maybe 5:30 by the time we were done. And still no groceries. And no food in the house. My Darling became my savior when he went out and came back with McDonald's at 6. Normally, I would throw-up at the thought of McDonald's (as in when I am not pregnant and famished because I am totally nesting). But that was not the case. I devoured it. Yummy.

What about the grocery store, you ask? Well, I have ordered all this Tupperware in the last month or so. It has been sitting and multiplying near my printer for at least a month, all the while me promising my husband that I will clean out the cupboards and throw away/give away all the food storage I have that is crappy and missing lids, etc. So instead of shopping for food, I cleaned out the cupboards. It felt good. I put away the Tupperware. That felt even better. I looked at the clock. It's past 7. Oi!

My dear, dear husband took a shower, and so did my son (not together for Pete's sake). Then, when I thought I would surely start feeling as I normally do and collapse, I decided to get dressed and go shopping. For groceries. At 8pm. I don't know where the energy was from but I wasn't going to waste it. Both stores. No need to leave the car running as it was nighttime, cooler, and darker than during the day. Got home at 11 and, hold your breath here or you won't believe me, ACTUALLY put away the groceries. Yup, the same day I bought 'em. Really. Then I cut up and cleaned all the fruit and vegetables. I'm really not pulling your leg here. Then....yes there's more....I cooked the meat, put it in containers, and put them in the freezer. Holy cow!

Then I made dinner. At 1am. That was the end of the energy. I left the dishes from dinner on the stove until this morning when I promptly cleaned them and everything else in the kitchen.

I am a nesting monster right now - and I have 7 more weeks to go.

What will I think of next?

~H

No comments: