Monday, October 20, 2008

Contradiction or Know Who You're Voting For (Vol. 3)

Doesn't it seem odd to you that someone who is pro-choice is also anti-war?

Think about it. How can you be pro-killing and be anti-killing?

It's kind of like many liberals in the "big city" close to where I live (in rural America) where the majority is pro-death (oh, I'm sorry, I meant pro-choice. I don't know what came over me) but anti-death penalty. Huh?! You think we should kill the innocent and spare the guilty? That makes sense to you?

Does it make sense to you?

As a Catholic, neither is OK with me. But as a previous agnostic, I was pretty darn OK with the death penalty and assumed the issue of abortion had not too much to do with me since I knew I'd never have one.

I promise to publish a post at some later time about how I became vehemently pro-life. For now, let me simply explain my problem with this contradiction I see in society with these two issues.

I, myself, struggle with the issue of the death penalty. As a Catholic, I am to believe that life is to be honored from conception to natural death. So I pray fervently for humility and courage to know that all life, including that which has committed grave sin, is worthy. After all, but for the Grace of God have I been brought to the Church and His forgiveness.

What I just don't understand is how someone can claim that they are "pro-choice" and at the same time oppose the death penalty. By their own definition they say that the life of a criminal is worth saving.

What crime has the unborn committed?

~H

No comments: